Sunday, March 25, 2012

Process: Slow and Steady

Hi there. I thought I'd try something different while talking about one of my latest projects for Parks Canada. I was asked to paint the turtles of Ontario's Trent Severn Waterway for identification brochures and posters.(following the snakes and Frogs series) I documented most of my painting process while painting a Snapping Turtle through periodic overhead (badly lit) snapshots. I thought I would share some of the process photos as well as the finished Turtle.
It is still quite a challenge for me to paint from multiple references and end up with convincing light/shadow and colour so I took photos of my process to see what's working and what stages need improvement. I think my photography needs improvement.








2 comments:

Yuta Onoda said...

Well done sir!! :)

Chris Coles said...

Thanks Yuta, I was using a catbrush for most of this effort.